Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Cheese Lady

Today we actually went into the field and visited a woman who got a CARE grant to buy cows and has since blossomed into an ambitious entrepreneur with a thriving cheese business and plans to buy more cows and even a Jeep, which is a big deal in a country where women don't typically drive.

I love meeting people whose lives really have been fundamentally changed by some small help, because let's face it--in development that only happens sometimes.

When my PR colleague and I met later about writing about the cheese lady, my colleague didn't want me to mention the cheese lady's car-buying dream because according to her, it's unrealistic. I actually got sucked into arguing with her for a bit before thinking to explain to her that people can dream whatever the hell they want. That's why they call it a dream.

Also, I firmly believe that somebody like the cheese lady, who is not afraid to shoot firecrackers at the wolves who stalk her cows and thinks it is no big deal to ride her horse into the nearest town to buy medicine for her neighbor, most likely has what it takes to make her dream come true.

3 comments:

  1. Amen! And as a champion dreamer (and dream-come-true-maker) yourself, you can speak with some authority on the subject! Good luck to the cheese lady -- I hope her dream comes true, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Although you probably need to cut your colleague some slack as well. I'm sure the people of Georgia are still getting used to the idea that they control their own destinies (to the extent that anyone does, that is). Dreaming big may take some practice...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great commentary Lisa. She may not make the Jeep but she certainly won't if she doesn't try. Dad

    ReplyDelete