Friday, November 4, 2011

Zghmartli

During yesterday's field visit, we stopped to check out a bridge project one of the grants helped pay for, and everybody got all excited about this fruit growing next to the bridge.

Zghmartli. Try saying that ten times fast. (Actually, try saying it once--I tell you, the consonant clumps are ridiculous. This one requires some spitting.)

The staff showed me the name on the internet and everything, so I don't think they were just messing with me. Also, Georgians aren't like that. Normally I don't just eat random things people pull off of plants growing by the road, but this guy is a veterinarian so I figured he knows what he's talking about, right? The dark squishy fruits are ripe, and even though they have way too many seeds, they're pretty delicious.

All together now: Zghmartli. (Bless you!)

No comments:

Post a Comment