Sunday, November 20, 2011

David Gareja Monastery

Saturday afternoon I placed too much faith in a very bossy GPS when I took a ride with Dave, Cuttino and Jessica to the Davit Gareja cave monastery complex, way out in the desert on the border of Georgia and Azerbaijan. The device sent us on a meandering path across dirt roads, through the shooting range of an army training encampment and within spitting distance of Azeri border guard towers.

Eventually, we made it to these amazing complexes of
cave dwellings founded in the sixth century and scattered around a desolate patch of dust that is otherwise mostly inhabited by sheep, birds and the occasional fox.
It was a beautiful drive but it made me appreciate Tbilisi and its trees.

3 comments:

  1. Through a shooting range? Yikes! I'm glad you lived to tell the tale...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read this post it brought back all of my European memories. I would drag us around to every local church in the area. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving aboard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sixth century. Wow. It would blow my mind to put my feet on living grounds that someone tread 1500 years ago.

    ReplyDelete