Friday, September 16, 2011

Home, again

We got off on a somewhat bumpy start when the intern who had been assigned as my babysitter/handler and the driver from CARE couldn't find my new house (which, as it turns out, is a hop & skip from the PC office). To be honest, I was a little worried until we pulled up and my lovely new host mom came out to greet us, then took us in to her gorgeous house, where my adorable and helpful host brother was watching Spiderman 2. In English, thank you. On a flat-screen TV.

Although my host mom speaks some English, said little brother is our translator for tricky phrases, though I am going to have to educate him at some point about the limitations of using "ain't."

Said little brother learned his (fairly respectable) English by spending the last 12 1/2 years watching the Cartoon Network, says mom.

Having recently spent a year in a mud hut with a grass roof, I am in a bit of shock to be living in a house with two dentists, wifi, a washing machine, a guinea pig, a treadmill in the basement rumpus room, and grape vines draped rustically all over the garden. (Plus GIANT kegs of homemade wine fermenting in the basement.) My host mom apologized that the water goes out sometimes. Also, the wifi can be slow.

Uh, somehow I will find a way to cope.

No comments:

Post a Comment