Thursday, September 1, 2011

Conversational

When my favorite morning NPR show ended on my dog walk this morning, I switched my MP3 player to the travel Russian audiobook I downloaded from the library last night and started trying to pick up some new phrases. (They didn't have Georgian.)

This was complicated by the fact that it took me about five minutes to figure out which came first, the Russian lady or the English guy, and further because I was busy wondering about the circumstances that would surround such conversations as "Are you traveling alone?"

"Please speak more slowly" seemed especially troublesome. Considering that I am just now learning how to say please, thank you and "Good morning, madam," how much will it help me if somebody speaks slow gibberish as opposed to fast nonsense?

At least I am getting used to the sound of Russian in my ears. Next week (!!!!) I'll be surrounded by it.

No comments:

Post a Comment