Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Training



I was kind of hoping that since I was only coming to Georgia for three months that I wouldn't have to learn the language.

Yesterday afternoon we started working on the alphabet. My brain feels like it's been turned inside out and scrubbed with a brillo pad. The Georgian alphabet is linguistically unique, and the letters all look like the opposite of what I expect them to sound.

That could just be the jetlag talking.

Anyway, this is where we ate lunch yesterday. Potato dumplings! And drinks! It was lovely and delicious. And there was a sweet little kitty.

2 comments:

  1. You have to remove all you know about letters to learn Cyrillic. And yes, "H" is actually an "N". To learn the alphabet I would sound out everything around me and ask my local friends to tell me when I got it wrong. Made learning the alphabet easier... Like the day I was walking down the street and sounded out "MAN - I - CURE" in Cyrillic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making things even more complicated, things in Georgia are often written in both Russian AND Georgian, which is its own, completely linguistically unique alphabet and language. Egads!

    ReplyDelete