Sunday, September 25, 2011

Tsminda Sameba and chickens

I feel like I accomplished something significant this weekend by traveling to Tsminda Sameba, a church iconic enough in and of this country to be featured on the cover of the Lonely Planet guidebook to Georgia.

I also admired Mt. Kazbek, though it remained behind clouds for most of the weekend, and peeked at Russia from the hills above the border crossing.

On the drive home, my friends and I stopped for something to eat at a roadside cafe. I chose the retired car seat because it looked more cushy than the other option, a thin wooden bench.

While waiting for my Turkish coffee, I went to smooth down a lump in the coverlet covering the seat. I was surprised when my pat elicited a squeak like a stepped-on dog toy. Peeling back the cover, I found this poor girl who had been minding her own business guarding her egg. Obviously she had also chosen this seat as a cozy perch.

The commotion drew our hostess, who quickly chased away the hen (by way of my head) and claimed the egg for herself.

My apologies to the chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment