Saturday, September 17, 2011

Weekend

One week ago today, I boarded a plane for an excruciating two-day, five-flight voyage this country halfway across the planet.

I was expecting a week of jetlag, meetings, orientations, new food and a perplexing language, not to mention the major transition to stepping into a host family. I wasn't expecting to feel so comfortable, welcome, and not awkward. (Or, let's be honest, to be able to call my parents via Skype from my bedroom. Major Bonus.)

My host brother and I spent part of the afternoon watching Ironman (in Russian, sadly) and working a puzzle of the Chicago skyline (cultural exchange, thank you). When his grandmother called, I couldn't understand him but I knew he was talking about me when he said "puzzle" and called me a good girl.

This weekend, it feels pretty incredible to feel at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment