Monday, August 11, 2014

Dinosaur canyon

 During our time in the village, Vaho & Larissa wanted to make sure I saw the coolest things in the Samagrelo region, so Sunday the guys and I visited the dinosaur canyon on the river Abasha while Larissa stayed behind to cook for Vaho's dad and clean up his house. (We're still in Georgia, after all.)
This place isn't exactly a top tourist destination, at least among foreigners, though it was packed with Georgians. There were no signs and it wasn't in my guidebook. Vaho had to ask people for directions until we just veered down a gravel road and there it was. Later I asked a guy at the tourist office to show it to me on a map but he couldn't find it.
We paid 15 lari (about $8) to rent an inflatable raft and hire a guide to paddle us down the canyon and back, with several portages/opportunities to slip on rocks. I never saw the dinosaur footprints that are allegedly here but to be honest the canyon itself was so beautiful I forgot to look.

No comments:

Post a Comment