Monday, August 18, 2014

Farewell tour

 At this point, you'd think I'd have learned that when Larissa says we're stopping by to see someone for cake, what that really means is that we're bringing the cake and the people we are going to see will try to feed us so much additional food that we will be completely beached for the rest of the afternoon. (Don't even get me started about all the toasting...)
 Apparently I am a slow learner.

Anyway Larissa took me to say goodbye to her lovely parents and I got to sample Dodo's version of Georgia's answer to nshima or polenta, a thick corn porridge. In this case, it's served with fresh cheese marinated in minty sour cream, which may sound revolting (as it did to me at first) but is divine. Addictively divine, as in you will be immobilized on the sofa after eating an insane amount of it.
Watching Dodo stir her pot of corn totally gave me Zambia flashbacks to Ba Estheri muscling a pot of nshima into submission. Main difference: Georgians use forks, not fingers.

No comments:

Post a Comment