Friday, October 7, 2011

Chestnuts roasting

Every night, Vakhtang comes home from work bearing bags of treats like rolled-up cakes (giant Little Debbies!), fruits from all over Georgia, massive jugs of fresh wine.

This week it's been fresh persimmons (which I haven't tried yet because I had my mouth turned inside out by an unripe one at work the other day), pears, apples, and last night, chestnuts. Larisa boiled them and taught me how to crunch them open and extract the meaty part from inside.

They were delicious and I'm sure not responsible at all for the gurgling in my stomach today.

To complete the cultural exchange, I'm doing a little cooking for the family today: lentil stew and Martha Stewart cupcakes. And of course we'll all work on finishing that jug of fresh wine before it spoils.

No comments:

Post a Comment