Sunday, October 9, 2011

Martha and Tamilee

Two of my constant companions from home have been Martha (Stewart) and Tamilee Webb. That's Martha's cupcake recipe there, which the family loved even they turned out kinda tough and dry.

If it seems like I've done nothing here but bake fattening food for my host family, well, it is true that I have not yet tired of the novelty of making treats. And I still marvel that so many ingredients are readily available here, and that the power rarely goes out. And the reception my cooking gets here is pretty gratifying. (Trevor is ever complimentary but it's been awhile since he clapped at the table.)

Anri, who is 12, even loved the lentil burgers (the gloppy grey mess to the left of the cupcakes). He said they were better than McDonald's, and I'm still not sure how to take that. (McDonald's is so expensive here that people allegedly consider it "fancy.")

Luckily, to balance out all the butter and cheese, my daily commute involves a brisk 40-minute walk (each way!) to the office carrying an overloaded bag. And since my host mom is currently dieting, I've gotten her to join me for some Tamilee Webb workout DVDs.

It seems that the world over, we all want Buns of Steel. And cupcakes.

3 comments:

  1. But aren't Buns of Steel mutually exclusive of cupcakes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, my cupcakes were tough enough to nearly be considered steel. Maybe I have buns of cupcake?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ick. You let me know what kind of DVDs and videos you want me to send with Trish when she comes to Georgia (and her contact info). I don't want to see you in December with no Buns of Cupcake (although I would still love you. I guess.)

    ReplyDelete