Monday, October 10, 2011

Sunday drive

Sunday afternoon the family and I took a drive in the country to visit the cute village of Sighnaghi (obscured by me and the host family in the photo above) and the Bodbe Monastery, which is a popular pilgrimage site because it contains the grave of St. Nino, who brought christianity to Georgia in the fourth century.
Naturally, there were also plenty of snacks. In Sighnaghi we bought the little green and brown fruits in the box above (it's almost empty because we bought a giant sack of them), which taste kind of like apples. I love meeting new fruits.We also met these dudes and took a little ride around town. I tried to pet the horse but the guy said it would bite my fingers off. I knew better than to try and pet the many stray dogs we saw, but Anri and I did feed them potato chips.

Since this is wine country and grape juice is a key ingredient for churchela, there were many stops along the way to stock up, but the photos I took make it look like something Lorena Bobbitt would toss in a field. Trust me when I say it looks seriously icky but can be surprisingly delicious.

2 comments:

  1. So I take it you're starting to acquire a taste for the acquired taste?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally! Only my friends told me they ate half of one last week before realizing it was moldy inside, so I may have lost the acquisition again...

    ReplyDelete