Sunday, October 16, 2011

Consuming in Tbilisi

I didn't mean to spend the entire day shopping, but that's how it turned out.

In the morning I took the Metro to the big Western-style supermarket G-mart, which is way farther from my house than I thought--it took 30 minutes including walking to the Metro, waiting, riding, and walking again. My hometown grocery store is 20 times bigger and a 10-minute walk away. And carries popcorn.

But I was able to find lentils, plain oatmeal (I had to use museli with raisins in the first batch of veggie burgers), curry powder and more--including a tiny bag of "taco" flavored Doritos. Then Larisa took me to Lilo Mall, the kind of sprawling, semi-open-air market that really says (in my mind) this place is developing, not developed. We walked for what felt like miles and only covered the kitchen, underwear and fabric sections. They sell everything China has ever produced and it felt like a significant percentage of the world's 6.77 billion people were milling under the leaky tarps with us. Larisa and I both bought a bit of fabric and a couple pairs of socks. And kept a firm grasp on our handbags.My favorite stop of the day was this other market (basically a garage sale) featuring scruffy-looking baby dolls, super smelly old clothes, the family china and the occasional animal pelt. I bought a cool old Russian wooden spoon for a lari (60 cents) and we ate some ice cream and called it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment