Thursday, October 13, 2011

Field visit

Field visits are far and away the best part of this job. I got back last night (at midnight!) from a two-day trip to Tsageri and the CARE projects in the poor and isolated communities tucked up in the mountains in the foothills of the Caucasus Mountains.

I took about 350 pictures in two days and wanted to take more but knew there was no way I could do justice to the unbelievable scenery at every turn. The leaves were changing and the moon was full, to boot.Not to mention the people: warm, friendly and hospitable like all Georgians, but taken up a notch even from the usual. The ladies kept pouring me foamy little cups of Turkish coffee and trying to get me to drink their homemade apple vodka (It's sweet! They told me. For ladies!). I was able to resist.

And naturally all the food on that table--which they grew themselves, of course--ended up in a bag (uh, two bags. Big bags.) and came home with me. They insisted.

2 comments:

  1. Why didn't you try the apple vodka for ladies!?!? You are so sensible.

    What kind of food did they send home with you? I can't wait to come their and get fed by Georgian ladies until I am fat and sample the ladies' apple vodka!

    Be safe, take 300 pictures everyday and remember that many people (including me) in the US of A love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came home with: boiled chestnuts, apples, peaches, grapes and khatchapuri. I shared!

    ReplyDelete