Monday, October 3, 2011

Junk

Along with learning bits and pieces of a new language, tackling important issues of international development and tasting tons of new food, I'm also devoting a fair amount of time to truly important questions, such as: Where do Georgians keep all their junk?

Recently, I learned that many of the little shops I pass on my way to work are actually selling secondhand clothes. And last weekend I found my way to Tbilisi's famous Dry-Bridge Market, where Georgians are selling off their grandparents' china and silverware and the crystals plucked from their chandeliers, along with all kinds of Russian medals and posters, dusty old books, electronic thingies and quite a selection of accordions, which sadly are priced out of my range.

Better yet: On an unrelated minibus ride, I discovered that the #50 travels practically from my front door to said market. And upon learning about my interest in other people's junk, my host mom promised to take me to another, non-touristy, even better flea market.

No comments:

Post a Comment